Ursa Major was founded to address a critical shortfall in the U.S. industrial base and bring a new model to aerospace and defense systems: we design and manufacture the world’s leading propulsion systems for space, hypersonic applications, and missile systems.
Our products and technologies require an extraordinary team – a team that will mold tomorrow’s technologies while deploying today’s best. We are an intrinsically motivated team that has a passion for solving problems and empowering each other every day to develop our skills, knowing that there is always room for growth.
As Ursa Major expands into the realm of solid propulsion, we’re assembling the most innovative and nimble team in order to unseat the reigning players. We’re applying the latest technologies to an outdated business model that improves cost, lead-time, and flexibility without impacting reliability. We must continue to build in-house capabilities in energetics, ballistics, and composites with an emphasis on novel designs focused on manufacturability and high-rate scalability.
Ursa Major is seeking a Mechanical / Solid Rocket Motor (SRM) Ballistics Analyst to join our creative team of engineers. The candidate will have the opportunity to be involved in some of Ursa Major’s innovative and groundbreaking solutions to complex technical problems facing the solid rocket motor industry. This position requires performing research, design, analysis, evaluation, and testing in support of SRM products and technologies.
- Serve as a subject matter expert conducting and supervising a range of projects involving formulation, characterization, and testing of new energetic materials.
- Interface and collaborate with government partners to further develop and utilize legacy energetics.
- Apply chemical principles to safely conduct research, analysis and experimentation on propellants, pyrotechnics, and/or explosives for product development or improvement to meet program requirements. Modify propellant compositions to optimize chemical, physical, mechanical, ballistic, and hazards properties
- Identify testing needs for propellant development. Author test procedures, establish objectives and develop data requirements. Lead testing efforts to characterize propellant formulations
- Develop computational methods and tools to predict and analyze propellant performance, combustion chemistry, rocket motor ballistic performance, and nozzle/plume flow dynamics
- Technical writing of reports, publications, proposals and presentations and assist in the development of product specifications and statements of requirements.
- Support quick-turnaround urgent failure investigations, failure analysis and facilitate production deviation closures with meeting engineering requirements and mission objectives.
- Organize/prepare/present major program efforts and findings to internal and external customers, including government and commercial entities
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical discipline such as chemistry or physics
- 2+ years of experience in the field of Energetics
- Previous technical work experience in energetics formulation
- Experience with experimental design and data analysis
- A working knowledge of energetic material regulations and safe handling/measurement
- Experience working with cross-functional teams, interfacing with internal/external customers
- Proficiency in Matlab, Python, C++, Fortran or similar
- This position requires that the employee be eligible and maintain eligibility for a Secret Clearance.
- Master’s degree or PhD in technical discipline such as chemistry or physics
- General technical knowledge of rocket motor components and processes
- Hands-on experience with program/project work in applied R&D and / or production support
- Experience with high level presentations and briefings.
- DoD Secret Security Clearance or higher
- Unlimited PTO - Vacation, Sick, Personal, and Bereavement
- Paid maternity/paternity/adoptive leave
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance; Tax Advantage Accounts (HSA/FSA); Employer Paid Short and Long Term Disability, Basic Life, AD&D and EAP Program; Additional Benefit Options Including Voluntary Life, Emergency Medical Transport and Pet Insurance
- Retirement Savings Plan - Traditional 401(k) and a Roth 401(k)
- Company stock options
Colorado law requires us to tell you the base compensation range of this role, which is $100,000 - $170,000, determined by your education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities. What we can’t quantify for you are the exciting challenges, supportive team, and amazing culture we enjoy. Click here for more information about our awesome benefits.
Classification: Full-time Exempt