Manufacturing Supervisor (East Coast)
People & HR, Operations
Burlington, NJ, USA
Posted on Sunday, July 2, 2023
Who we are:
Founded in 2013, Thistle is a leading tech-enabled food and nutrition company that delivers ready-to-eat meals right to your doorstep. We empower our customers to get and stay healthy while improving the sustainability of our food system. Thistle began as a single pop-up location in San Francisco selling cold-pressed juices to delivering nearly 15 million delicious, healthy, plant-forward meals, organic cold-pressed juices, and snacks.
About the Role:
Reporting to the Production Manager, the Manufacturing/Production Supervisor supervises and coordinates a shift in the Production Department to manufacture quality products for our customers. The ideal candidate will have a roll-up-your-sleeves approach, a positive attitude, works to empower and motivate their team and thrives in a fast-paced, evolving environment.
This is a unique opportunity to be part of the early team at Thistle’s brand new East Coast facility, located in Burlington, NJ, responsible for growing Thistle East operations to bring delicious, plant-forward, and planet-friendly meals to customers on the East Coast.
This position is 100% onsite in Burlington, NJ.
What you'll do:
- Supervise and coordinate production operations for team members, including scheduling, time management, performance evaluations, hiring, and discipline
- Champion employee morale at all times
- Identify training needs and areas for employee development and professional growth
- Act as liaison and point of contact between leads, associates, and management team
- Ensure employees are following GMPs, ensuring that products are consistently produced and controlled according to quality standards and Thistle policy
- Implement and champion new and existing initiatives across production teams
- Work cross-functionally with Culinary, Production, and Facilities teams to ensure proper receiving, handoffs, QA, and other organizational GMPs and standards
- Ensure the accuracy of manifests and documentation logs, and ensure all team members understand their functionalities
- Keep up to date and maintain a working knowledge of relevant SOPs and processes
- Have consistent communication with the team for issues, and work with management to troubleshoot and resolve any challenges in real-time effectively and efficiently
- Perform production area audits and conduct regular shift meetings to comply with GMPs, food safety, audits, and safety regulations
- Attend weekly safety meetings; maintain records of policy changes and rollouts
- Ensure OSHA compliance standards are adhered to at all times by staff
- Ensure that all COVID protocols are followed at all times
What you'll bring:
- High school diploma or equivalent required; degree preferred
- 2+ years experience supervising employees in manufacturing or production required; experience in food manufacturing highly preferred
- Working knowledge of state wage & time law
- Desire to develop leadership skills
- Strong communication skills that put people first and the ability to balance empathy and direct feedback to support and advocate for the team and maintain consistent performance standards
- Ability to form effective working relationships with a cross-functional team
- Ability to adhere to company SOPs and implement new initiatives as needed
- You bring your A-game every day and encourage your team to do the same
- You have a California or equivalent Food Handlers Certification
- Flexibility to work weekends or early morning shifts
- Ability to consistently work in a refrigerated environment
- Ability to lift a minimum of 25 pounds and stoop, kneel, bend, and reach
- Tech savvy approach to your work; proficiency with a variety of tech platforms including, but not limited to, G-Suite and Slack
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential values at Thistle. We know we do our best and most impactful work when we feel we are represented and belong. We're proud to actively recruit and hire talented people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.