✨ One platform, a whole world of opportunity
Right now, the best jobs are limited to people in a handful of the world’s wealthiest cities, yet brilliant people are everywhere. Driven to overturn the status quo and distribute opportunities equally around the world, Oyster launched its global employment platform to help companies hire, pay, and care for talent anywhere.
When it comes to global employment, we walk the walk. We’re proof that companies don't need an office to create a highly-engaged culture. Since the company’s inception in January 2020, Oyster has:
Our momentum speaks to the power of global employment—and we’re just getting started! If you want to change the world with Oyster and be empowered to work remotely while doing so, we’d love for you to apply!
👩💻 The Role
Location: While this position is posted in a specific location, all of Oyster’s positions are fully remote, and you can work from home. Forever. To create the best experience for our new hire (you?!) this role does require that you be based within -5/ +3 UTC.
Delivering projects to empower companies and remote workers
As an engineer in our team, you’ll be responsible for designing and delivering the technical solution of our deliveries. You'll be designing technical solutions, writing code, tests, and troubleshooting issues. You'll apply high standards of code quality and development best practices, such as TDD or continuous integration and secure code thinking.
You'll play an important role in our delivery process. It will be important to understand the product goals and then provide technical input to specifications. You'll participate in discussions on domain model design and coordinate with our Product team, as you'll collaborate with lead developers on architecture and implementation planning.
Be a key part of our development team
We're a young team, you'll help shape our team's process and help us make technical decisions to make us effective and a great place to work as a developer.
We also expect you to support developers by answering questions and offering support when needed or by pairing on complex problems.
And to advance technical excellence at Oyster by researching new tools and practices, taking initiative on technical improvements and refactoring, and moving best practices forward through pairing and discussions in the team.
What you'll do…
As a Software Engineer at Oyster, you will play a pivotal role in designing, developing, and maintaining robust web applications that meet our clients' needs. Here's what your day-to-day will look like:
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to understand project requirements and deliver high-quality code.
- Develop and maintain web applications using Ruby on Rails.
- Participate in code reviews to maintain code quality and mentor junior developers.
- Stay up-to-date with industry trends and best practices to continuously improve our development processes.
📜 What we're looking for
We're on the hunt for a Software Engineer who possesses the following qualifications and qualities:
- 3+ years of professional experience in software development, with a focus on Ruby.
- Proven track record of developing and maintaining web applications using Ruby on Rails.
- Proficiency in version control systems, particularly Git.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a collaborative, agile development environment.
You'll also need...
- A reliable home internet connection (or be able to get one)
- Fluent English language skills
Engineering at Oyster
At Oyster, we are on a mission to create a more equal world by making it possible for companies everywhere to hire people anywhere. The Engineering team is responsible for building up the platform, tooling, automation, and experience to help Oyster achieve this mission. Together with Product and Design, we partner closely with subject matter experts in Finance, Legal, Workplace, and more to build and refine our offerings to make a single product that is a pleasure to work with. We’re breaking new ground in the hiring market and have a wealth of interesting challenges to tackle!
We seek out and build up engineers and leaders who have strong software engineering fundamentals, value transparency, promote knowledge sharing, and thrive in a distributed, remote-first, and asynchronous working environment.
Our current technology stack includes Ruby, Rails, PostgreSQL, TypeScript, React, GraphQL, and we deploy to Heroku.
We have nearly 100 engineers partnered with our Product and Design teams to make up several agile product development teams focusing on improving and expanding several areas of our product,
Finally, we live and champion our company values.
- We elevate talent: We hire our team (using our own product!) and continue to grow their abilities through mentorship, challenges that stretch and strengthen their skills, and giving them room to explore.
- We build trust: We are transparent and promote an active flow of information throughout the team. We believe that people can do their best work when they feel supported, heard, and safe to challenge ideas to make the product, and team or company stronger. To do that, we value the egoless sharing of information, and transparency throughout the company, actively promote knowledge sharing, and promote a safe environment to try and fail. Failures are not the end; they are moments to learn and grow!
- We thrive together: By building upon our first two values, we promote teamwork and collaboration to come together a globally-minded, remote-first company that values collective wins over individual wins.
🦪 How we work together at Oyster
Our values guide the work we do, the decisions we make, and the culture that makes us special. We elevate talent. 🙌 We build trust. 🤝 We thrive together. 🌍
Our mission is to create a more equal world—one global hire at a time. Everything we do ladders up to our mission—and that doesn’t just mean building software. We develop programs, participate in workshops, and create dedicated teams to ensure we successfully support companies and knowledge workers in this new world of work.
We embrace asynchronous communication and collaborative work—and we share how we work in the Oyster Public HQ —to help other global teams learn from our experiences.
💌 How YOU work
Different countries have different statutory benefits, different cultures have different norms, and different people have different needs! In order to best support and encourage our diverse team, we’ve created How YOU Work; a program of policies, practices, and perks to support your whole human experience as an employee at Oyster.
- Work from anywhere: Oyster is a borderless, HQ-less company. As long as your work gets done on time, your team has the support they need, and you're authorized to work where you live, the world is truly your Oyster.
- Paid time off: We’re all about taking breaks—we all need it. Oyster provides employees with 40 days off each year, which includes public/bank holidays and vacation/holiday leave (unless your country mandates more).
- Mental health support: We consider your mental health a top priority. We offer access to Plumm, a mental well-being service, to support your mental health.
- Wellbeing allowance: Each month, Oyster will top up your Juno wallet with a wellbeing allowance. Juno Points can be applied to anything that helps you show up to work as your best self, whether that’s your internet bill, a class, gym membership, or houseplants. The choices are endless!
- Flexible parental leave: Families are created in lots of different ways. Our parental leave policy applies to all employees who are becoming parents, regardless of how they become a parent. Oysters are eligible for a minimum of three months of paid parental leave and your job will be held for 12 months (or longer if required by local jurisdiction).
- WFH stipend: $3000 stipend to spend on your laptop and any other equipment you need for your home office; we'll get you up and running in no time!
✨ The best jobs should be available to everyone
At Oyster, we celebrate a variety of perspectives and experiences and we’ve intentionally built our product and our company with an inclusive, global mindset. We know from experience that people from underrepresented groups often don’t apply for roles they don’t feel they meet all the criteria for. We’re committed to elevating talent by creating a trust-based environment where we can all thrive together. So if you think you have what it takes, but don’t necessarily check every single box, please consider applying. We’d love to hear how you might contribute to our mission and our team.
Our available positions are published on our careers page and should you be invited to interview with us, our recruitment team will only ever contact you directly from an @oysterhr.com email address. We will never ask you to send us money as part of a job offer. If you receive a suspicious email relating to opportunities at Oyster from any other email domain where someone is claiming to be a part of our recruitment team, or are directed to anywhere other than www.oysterhr.com/careers to view our available jobs we encourage you to submit a report through our Compliance and Ethics Helpline.