Executive Direct of the Northern Virginia Apprenticeship Innovation Hub
BuildWithin is a software and services company that produces educational programs and skills-tech products. We are also a federally-approved apprenticeship intermediary. Recently, BuildWithin was awarded an “Apprenticeships Building America” grant by the U.S. Department of Labor to establish Apprenticeship Innovation Districts in 5 communities across the country. Northern Virginia has been chosen as one of those regions. We are currently seeking an Executive Director to lead the Northern Virginia hub.
The Executive Directors have overall management and leadership responsibility for the hub they lead. They are “Future of Work” champions and deeply believe in the power of workplace learning. They are the regional “face” of the hub coordinating with all stakeholders to ensure that the Apprenticeship Innovation Districts are workforce innovation engines.
The ideal candidate is a dynamic leader with a track record of executing on big ideas, achieving goals, and meeting deadlines. This role requires natural leadership and outstanding interpersonal skills.
Area of Residency
Northern Virginia (Fairfax County, Arlington, Loudon County, Alexandria, and surroundings) This is a hybrid position.
Qualifications and Skills
Senior-level professional with five-plus years of experience in economic development, workforce, government affairs, and/or a related field.
Ability to effectively and confidently present to a wide variety of audiences
Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, managing multiple projects simultaneously and prioritizing projects to meet deadlines.
Outstanding written and verbal communications skills, including formal presentation skills.
Knowledge of Northern Virginia labor market and in demand occupations
Understanding of workplace learning programs and future of work concepts
You will be expected to:
● Build strong relationships and presence in the community with employers, government agencies, community-based organizations, workforce boards and associations
● Prepare effective materials, including memos, decks and reports to be used in presentations and for distribution.
● Conduct effective C–level external meetings.
● Educate, motivate and inspire employers to re-think HR practices and adopt “skills-based” hiring.
● Recruit business and organizations to start workplace learning programs including Apprenticeships.
● Make presentations to associations, community groups, and others regarding workforce innovation.
● Plan and execute various public events to raise awareness and share resources about Apprenticeships and workplace learning programs
● Attend events, speak at events and evangelize the public about value of apprenticeships and workplace learning.
● Participate in and lead local, national, and global communities about the Future of Work.
● Engages educators, employers, community members, and policymakers in an ongoing dialogue that provides recommendations and advice about the Future of Work.
● Monitors budget allocations, expenditures, and related financial activities for the purpose of ensuring that allocations are accurate, expenses are within budget limits and/or fiscal practices are followed.
$140,000 plus stock options
We offer competitive medical, dental, vision, and life insurance coverage, flexible schedule, paid parental leave and paid time off.
BuildWithin launched in November 2022 during National Apprenticeship Week with $2.4M in pre-seed funding led by Dundee Venture Capital with participation from Black Capital and $8M in government grants from the Department of Labor Apprenticeships Building America Grant.
Founded by Michelle Rhee, former Chancellor for the DC Public Schools, and tech entrepreneur Dr. Ximena Hartsock, who founded the multinational software company Phone2Action (now Capitol Canary) - acquired.
BuildWithin is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, age, sexual orientation, gender, national origin, marital status, veteran status, disability status, pregnancy, parental status, genetic information, political affiliation, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities.
This position does not engage in sales of BuildWithin products or lobbying.
Send your resume to: Jobs@buildwithin.com