Technical Director, AOSM Architecture
About Assembly OSM
Our team has developed billions of dollars of urban real estate including the tallest high-rise modular tower in North America (461 Dean Street), and has led major manufacturing operations at companies like Tesla and General Motors.
The Assembly approach is quite different than the modular solutions that have been deployed in the past. The process is more similar to aerospace manufacturing than construction -- leveraging high fidelity digital twin models and distributed manufacturing to make our business more scalable and resilient.
If our mission speaks to you, we encourage you to apply!
Assembly OSM (a spin out from SHoP Architects) seeks a highly organized, detail oriented technical architect with experience taking design ideas through detailing and construction completion. In this role, you will lead efforts to develop and maintain our team’s standards for 2D & 3D documentation as it relates to contract documents, technical details, product data, and project specifications. We are looking for a problem solver capable of thinking through complex constructability issues and working with product designers, fabricators, and contractors to develop solutions to a high level of technical resolution. As Technical Director, you will drive the team’s investment in building an encyclopedic knowledge of materials and processes that strengthen our ability to deliver projects consistently, efficiently, and at a high level of quality. This role is 100% supportive of the Assembly OSM’s Projects department, and will coordinate with and develop alongside Assembly OSM’s Product Architecture & Engineering department.
- Integrate architectural designs with engineering and fabrication requirements to ensure functionality and aesthetics in modular units.
- Oversee structural design, building systems, fire protection, and materials selection while ensuring compliance with building codes.
- Collaborate with internal product design and manufacturing teams, Architects & Engineers of Record, and other external consultants to coordinate all aspects of modular and conventional design.
- Stay updated with building codes and regulations relevant to modular construction and ensure compliance.
- Monitor cost implications of design decisions and material choices to stay within budget.
- Work with the Quality department to establish quality control processes that ensure that modular units meet design specifications and construction standards
- Identify and address technical challenges during modular construction, providing creative solutions.
- Establish standards for the development of a catalog of technical details for products and systems, providing adequate training for designers in drawing details and establishing uniformity in the deliverable.
- Translate product and project requirements into technical specifications. Support the writing, editing, and delegating of the technical documentation.
- Establish internal QAQC of drawings & specifications to standardize systems design deliverables across the different phases of the design & production process
- Assist in defining product requirements, standardized data sheets, and architectural specifications.
- Develop test criteria in support of data sheets and for work instruction inclusion.
- Participate in the development of qualifying criteria & standardization of bid sheets for vendors
- Support review of shop drawings and submittals received from suppliers and fabricators
- Research innovative materials and processes while keeping up with standard construction products and staying informed about new materials, code changes, and current industry trends
- Maintain high standards of productivity, quality work, and collaboration.
- A technical expert with a strong background in architecture, including knowledge of structural engineering, building systems, and construction materials.
- A modular construction enthusiast with experience and expertise in modular construction or a strong desire to learn, understanding its unique considerations and processes.
- Experienced in creating detailed construction documents and specifications, incorporating modular-specific details into construction drawings.
- A believer in the manufacturing approach that Assembly takes towards modular building and will ensure precision in the detail and seamless component integration.
- A highly organized, detail-oriented architect with experience taking design ideas through a to shop drawing level of resolution and completion.
- An effective communicator of technical information and facilitator of collaboration among teams and consultants.
- A problem solver, enabling you to quickly and creatively solve technical challenges inherent in modular construction and in the interface with conventional construction.
- Strong time management skills, allowing you to oversee multiple projects and keep them on track.
- Thorough understanding of building codes and regulations, and persistent in the examination of design against the building code and other relevant jurisdictional constraints.
- A problem solver capable of thinking through complex constructability issues and collaborating to develop high-resolution solutions.
- A degree in architecture and are a licensed architect.
- A background in architectural or engineering firms, with a focus on multi-family residential.
- Modular construction or prefabrication experience, a must.
- Experience working with design-build teams is advantageous.
- Experience working in New York City is required.
- A portfolio of past projects that showcases your experience in high-rise building design and construction with a focus on technical detailing, documentation & systems integration.
- An in-depth understanding of building codes and construction industry best practices and methodologies
- Strong leadership, written & verbal communication and organizational skills
- A high degree of self-motivation, flexibility, and resourcefulness
Compensation Range: $110k- $160k/year
At Assembly, we aim for genuine inclusion and belonging. We are proud to be a minority-led firm, equal-opportunity employer, and have zero tolerance for harassment or discrimination. We seek out employees of all races, colors, religions, ages, gender identities and presentations, LGBTQ+ identities and orientations, family and parental statuses, veteran and disability statuses, and ancestries and national origins.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Benefits
- 20 PTO days per year, plus holidays
- Free One Medical and virtual healthcare services, including Health Advocate and Teladoc
- Commuter Benefits
- FSA and HSA
* Please note that being authorized to work in the United States is a precondition of employment for this role. We are not sponsoring work visas, such as H-1B visas, at this point in time.*