Director of Product Engineering
About Assembly OSM
Our team has developed billions of dollars of urban real estate including the tallest high-rise modular tower in North America (461 Dean Street), and has led major manufacturing operations at companies like Tesla and General Motors.
The Assembly approach is quite different than the modular solutions that have been deployed in the past. The process is more similar to aerospace manufacturing than construction -- leveraging high fidelity digital twin models and distributed manufacturing to make our business more scalable and resilient.
If our mission speaks to you, we encourage you to apply!
As Assembly’s Director of Product Engineering, you will apply the most advanced techniques from industries like aerospace and automotive to the long-neglected backwater of building construction. You will be responsible for building and leading the teams, processes, and operations that develops, designs, innovates, prototypes, tests, iterates, and implements an efficient, high-precision, technologically-powered product suite for Assembly's high-rise buildings.
- Lead the cross-functional development of manufacturable products – building systems and subsystems – integrating systems design, manufacturing, and quality programs.
- Formulate and implement strategic goals for modular building sub-assemblies design and engineering, aligning with company objectives and fostering a culture of innovation and efficiency.
- Direct the end-to-end design process of modular building units, ensuring seamless integration with architectural plans and applying DfMA principles for production and assembly optimization.
- Provide expert guidance on technical aspects such as structural integrity and material selection, while staying updated on trends and technologies in modular construction.
- Collaborate with architects, engineers, manufacturing and other stakeholders for cohesive design solutions, and align design processes with the supply chain for efficient component fabrication.
- Ensure all designs adhere to relevant building codes and quality standards, and oversee the creation of detailed 3D models and comprehensive product specifications.
- Manage project timelines, budgets, and resources effectively, regularly evaluating project progress and implementing improvements.
- Nurture and lead a diverse team of designers and engineers, creating an environment for professional growth and collaborative achievement.
- Liaise with internal and external stakeholders, presenting design concepts and updates to senior management and external parties, and ensuring alignment of project goals.
- Develop and implement a standard for the Assembly OSM Bill of Design
- Promote and lead by example a clear and inclusive Design Validation plan
- Support feasibility studies and cost reduction exercises
- Establish the product key interfaces and characteristics aiming for manufacturability and reliability
- Drive and support R&D efforts around new materials and technologies
- Support NPI and Quality functions
- Cultivate a culture of trust and growth.
- A Strategic Visionary: Able to set and drive long-term goals in line with the company's vision in modular construction.
- An Innovator at Heart: Passionate about seeking new solutions and applying cutting-edge technologies and methodologies.
- A Collaborative Leader: Fosters teamwork, open communication, and collective problem-solving within and across teams.
- Technically Proficient: Possesses a strong background in engineering or architecture, with a deep understanding of design and construction challenges.
- A Quality Advocate: Committed to excellence, ensuring designs exceed industry standards and client expectations.
- An Effective Communicator: Skilled in articulating complex ideas clearly to diverse audiences, including team members and external partners.
- Project Management Savvy: Adept at managing multiple projects, balancing timelines, resources, and priorities effectively.
- Adaptable and Resilient: Capable of adapting to change and overcoming challenges in a fast-paced, evolving industry.
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Engineering, Architecture, or a related field, with extensive experience in product design and engineering, particularly in off site manufacturing.
- Demonstrated expertise in Design for Manufacturing and Assembly (DfMA) techniques and practices.
- Proven track record of effective leadership and team management, with strong project management capabilities.
- Proficient in CAD and 3D modeling software, coupled with exceptional communication and interpersonal skills.
- Creative problem-solving ability and a critical thinking approach.
- Commitment to staying abreast of industry advancements and experience in working with distributed supply chains.
Compensation Range: $160k- $225k/year
At Assembly, we aim for genuine inclusion and belonging. We are proud to be a minority-led firm, equal-opportunity employer, and have zero tolerance for harassment or discrimination. We seek out employees of all races, colors, religions, ages, gender identities and presentations, LGBTQ+ identities and orientations, family and parental statuses, veteran and disability statuses, and ancestries and national origins.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Benefits
- 20 PTO days per year, plus holidays
- Free One Medical and virtual healthcare services, including Health Advocate and Teladoc
- Commuter Benefits
- FSA and HSA
* Please note that being authorized to work in the United States is a precondition of employment for this role. We are not sponsoring work visas, such as H-1B visas, at this point in time.*