Director of Manufacturing Operations
About Assembly OSM
Our team has developed billions of dollars of urban real estate including the tallest high-rise modular tower in North America (461 Dean Street), and has led major manufacturing operations at companies like Tesla and General Motors.
The Assembly approach is quite different than the modular solutions that have been deployed in the past. The process is more similar to aerospace manufacturing than construction -- leveraging high fidelity digital twin models and distributed manufacturing to make our business more scalable and resilient.
If our mission speaks to you, we encourage you to apply!
As the Director of Manufacturing Operations at Assembly, you’ll get hands-on with our design and prototyping teams to help transition products from concept to reality. The engineering you do will shape many aspects of our work: you’ll drive manufacturing system design to meet safety, quality, volume, and cost; perform manufacturing process introduction, validation and improvements; provide support to the team in design for manufacturing; conduct make vs buy analysis; develop equipment, tooling and fixtures to support production; and develop and implement advanced manufacturing procedures and systems in an industry where this has never been done before.
- Contribute to manufacturing system design development and implementation, establishing process workflow, layout, space requirements, standard time, and manufacturing capacity/ cost.
- Provide a focus on safety, quality and cost management, and maintain a culture of execution in accordance with Assembly’s culture and values.
- Provide production ramp-up planning to deliver capital equipment on time and in sequence.
- Manage the design, delivery and validation of critical tooling and stations.
- Provide capital equipment selection criteria and decision influence.
- Manage the roll-out of a Manufacturing Execution System (MES).
- Develop standard work and work instruction documents for assembly processes that will be maintained within the MES system.
- Support the implementation of the ERP system from production, inventory and planning perspective.
- Perform structured root cause analysis of in-process failures.
- Implement and enhance engineering process documentation such as process flow diagrams, control plans, PFMEA, DFM, DFA and statistical process controls.
- Demonstrate urgency when necessary, and address and resolve issues quickly and in accordance with company priorities.
- Identify opportunities for efficiency improvements and cost savings through tools and processes.
- A hands-on engineer with a passion for continuous improvement and building the best hardware.
- Highly self-directed and capable of solving complex problems.
- An optimist with a can-do attitude.
- Highly proficient in project management, and able to forecast tasks, complexity and resources.
- A clear communicator who is comfortable expressing ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Adept in Six Sigma methodologies and able to deploy them without existing infrastructure.
- Bachelor of science degree in mechanical, aerospace, manufacturing engineering or related discipline from an accredited university.
- 3-5 years of experience in manufacturing, and/or production of aerospace, automotive, biomedical or other complex products.
- Experience transitioning products from design to manufacturing as part of a cross-functional team in a fast-paced iterative design environment.
- Experience designing and qualifying manufacturing lines & equipment
- Experience modeling with 3D CAD software such as: NX/Unigraphics, CATIA, Solidworks.
- Experience and demonstrated capability with Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing per ASME Y14.5.
- Working proficiency with PFMEA methodology and implementation.
- Knowledge and experience applying statistical methods to track process capability.
- Demonstrated experience designing tooling in a manufacturing environment.
- Hands-on engineer with a passion for continuous improvement and building the best hardware.
- Knowledge in process simulation is a plus.
Compensation Range: $160,000 - $190,000/ year (dependent upon experience)
At Assembly, we aim for genuine inclusion and belonging. We are proud to be a minority-led firm, equal-opportunity employer, and have zero tolerance for harassment or discrimination. We seek out employees of all races, colors, religions, ages, gender identities and presentations, LGBTQ+ identities and orientations, family and parental statuses, veteran and disability statuses, and ancestries and national origins.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Benefits
- 20 PTO days per year, plus holidays
- Free One Medical and virtual healthcare services, including Health Advocate and Teladoc
- Commuter Benefits
- FSA and HSA
* Please note that being authorized to work in the United States is a precondition of employment for this role. We are not sponsoring work visas, such as H-1B visas, at this point in time.*